Governor Skills Workshop: Effective school visits and challenging questions
|Course code||Keystage(s)||Presented by|
|GOV106||Foundation; KS1; KS2; KS3; KS4||
School Visits provide an important opportunity for governors to see for themselves how the school is implementing their policies and improvement plans and how they are working in practice.
Using case studies, exercises and discussion, this workshop will develop governors’ knowledge and skills to focus and maximise learning from school visits so that they are better able to ask challenging questions to hold Executive Leaders to account.
The course will:
• Clarify the purpose of School Visits and Challenging Questions within the context of the Governing Board’s core functions.
• Identify the requirements of the Code of Conduct and the School’s policies & procedures and best practice for Visits (both actual and virtual) to ensure that they are focussed on the Board’s priorities & improvement plans and how they are working
• Practise the skills of preparation, visits and feedback and reinforce the importance of Challenging Questions in holding Executive Leaders to account.
• Explore and practise a range of questioning techniques for different situations.
• Reinforce the links between insights gained through visits and robust accountability and challenging questions where necessary.
This course is for Governors only. Schools buying into the SLA for training can attend this course for free. Non Governors will be charged the full course fee.
Cancellation fees will apply for non-attendance or if a course place is cancelled by the delegate within 21 working days of the course date.
If you have applied online and ticked to have acceptance sent via email the email will be sent 2-3 weeks before as well as a letter to the your Schools Portal.