Red Rose Mastery Maths - Year Two (Includes full Maths Scheme)
|Course code||Keystage(s)||Presented by|
Please note that the course price includes the price of the scheme, so the first delegate is £689 and subsequent delegates from the same school will be charged at £189.
• To clarify the meaning of mastery in mathematics.
• To identify and explore the principles of the mastery approach to mathematics.
• To discuss the implementation of a mastery curriculum in mathematics, identifying the features of deep understanding in a learner and the teaching strategies required to support this including lesson design, teaching, use of resources and support for pupils.
• To become familiar with the resources and structure of the Red Rose Mastery Maths scheme for Year Two.
• To consider school based implications when using mastery approaches.
This course is to introduce teachers to the Red Rose Mastery Maths scheme for Year Two.
A mastery curriculum rejects the idea that a large proportion of people ‘just can’t do maths’ (NCETM 2016) and instead focuses on the idea that all pupils can achieve depth in their learning which can be accomplished by using key principles including:
- representation and structure (effective pedagogies for modelling, concrete-pictorial-abstract approaches, effective use of manipulatives and transition between them)
- coherence (curriculum design, progression of objectives, sequencing learning, small steps, contextualising learning between different areas of mathematics)
- mathematical thinking (effective questioning, identifying patterns and relationships, deep understanding through reasoning and problem solving, supporting children to achieve
deeper learning where appropriate)
- variation (progression through representations using conceptual variation, progression through questioning using procedural variation)
- fluency (efficiency, accuracy, flexibility, developing unconscious competence)
These elements of effective mathematics teaching are supported in both the National Curriculum and the Ofsted Inspection Framework.
The scheme provides teachers with comprehensive planning materials for each lesson including teaching resources, detailed planning guidance and children’s task sheets, including deeper learning tasks to challenge more able mathematicians.
The sessions will exemplify the principles of the teaching for mastery approach, as well as a step-by-step guide to how to use and adapt the materials.
Please note that the course price includes the price of the scheme.